Friday, November 10, 2006

Primum Putandum Multa

Everything contained herein has been rendered from my Moleskin. While the site recommends the squared version for use with "geometric tasks" I find that it is the closes to college ruled. I could be wrong on this, when I picked up my first one during the holidays last year (2005.) I only gave the notebook a cursory glance as I thought there would be occasion in which rudimentary drawings would be done. That was a pocket Moleskin, and while I liked the design I found it to small to write in, since I tend to go on and on.

I finally got around to picking up another one and this time I went with the medium size. Well it is considered the large size but the cardboard bound Moleskins are larger. I think, I really don't worry too much about the notebook as I have found it amazingly reliable. Well as reliable as a notebook can be, I certainly wouldn't expect it to throw me a rope as I was being pulled into quicksand, but reliable that the pages hold together well and it handles the abuse I bathe it in. I am not sure you can use 'bathe' in such a abstract sense.

It is clearly not the most efficient process and I should pick one or the other. I refuse, there is a kind of beauty about the written word (in this case actually written, not typed.) I could get my handwriting converted to a font but that is not the same, I can tell what I was feeling or in some cases doing when the idea was conceived. Spacing, angles, and pressure are only a few of the more noticeable aspects apparent in my writing. When I look back over what has been documented in the past I can remember not only the point of what I was saying but in some cases what I was actually feeling when the original was penned.

By using both the paper and the computer to keep a record of my thoughts it gives me a chance to look at them twice. Some days I am more articulate than others and keeping track of both, twice enables me to further refine thoughts that were written on a particularly illiterate day, and marvel at my thoughts from a brilliant day. The whole process is very introspective, and falls directly opposite of the processes used when writing about The Boy. That is a case where I want him to know exactly what I was thinking when I wrote about the experience or time in the article/story.

I may be the least talented Moleskin user.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I think that I have got you beat for the Least Talented Moleskin User title.

But I do love to write in it.

Sidetracked Home Executive said...

I like Moleskins too. Hopefully in our digital world, writing won't become a lost art.